Monday, August 16, 2010

Metro Escapades, DNC and Death Star

Things may seem dauntingly harder than reality dictates when moving to a new home (especially in a city like Washington D.C.), and then things may seem refreshingly easier before the initial assessment shores up to be true.


Moving in is simple, especially when my second floor apartment is claimed by only myself for a few weeks. If life gets lonesome I can always hang a left down my hall and bug four of my other TCU intern counterparts—I have a feeling they’ll keep me out of some trouble at a few points during the next few months. “Orientation” also seems rudimentary—don’t get mugged, furniture should not be placed in the hallways, and last but not least, kegerators are not acceptable in a professional living environment.

Metro passes are expensive and I have no clue how to use public transportation, (see paragraph one initial conclusion), but public transportation seemed the way to go in D.C. on our first outing to the Washington Center headquarters on 16th street this morning (see paragraph one follow-up reassessment).

Gene Albert greets us at the Washington Center, along with donuts from Dr. Kowalewski, and we go over what our semester will entail before preparing to head out to our first destination of the day, the Death Star. Yes, the Death Star, as the Democratic National Committee so affectionately referred to the Republican National Committee.

What is the RNC and what do they do? I can’t answer that because they didn’t really, either. Dodgy beltway lingo and coffee cup fist-clinching when any more poking and prodding by way of “interrogative” journalistic questions filled up the time slot. Walking up to the front of the building there are noticeable “Fire Pelosi” signs, but besides that, it seems that they throw their fundraising might and public relations magic on a national scale for the GOP candidate that wins their primary. Oh, they also play an annual softball game with the DNC and forewarned us that the DNC Headquarters was quite nicer than their “mauve” building.

We take a side tour to the Newsuem (I’ll explain later) before getting lost on our way to the DNC. It is hot and humid, I made the foolish decision to wear a jacket with my slacks, and I looked like I had entered a wet T-shirt contest by the time we actually arrived at the DNC.

The DNC is cutting edge, looking like they are about a century ahead of the Death Star when it comes to new media. Blogging, tweeting, Facebook, etc. is constant, and it is evident they had much to do with a successful 2008 President Campaign for the Democrats. Our timeslot at the DNC was cut short by way of getting lost, and so will this paragraph.

I get left at a Metro station stop by the girls (accidently, I hope), and my initial paragraph one assessment shored up to be true. I still have a smile on my face, and will continue to until Dec. 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment